Progris riport

DSC_0173

Has anyone read Flowers for Algernon? If you’ve read it, you’ll understand my misspelling. I read it several months ago, and it’s one of the greatest books I’ve ever read. I’d recommend it to anyone and everyone. When I was finishing it up, it happened to be on the tube on the way to work, and I cried. I sat on the tube, packed in between some discourteous commuters and I sobbed my little heart out. I wanted everyone to know about Charlie Gordon. It is the most wonderful, life-affirming and saddest book all at the same time.

DSC_0169

Anyway, sewing. My coat is still going strong. I’ve had lots of major setbacks (more on that another time), so I’m not beating myself up about it.  I’ve still got lots to do, but I’m enjoying having one major project on the go. Sometimes my interest wanes, so rather than starting anything new, I’m working through my ‘make do and mend’ pile in order to keep things fresh. It’s nice sometimes to flit between projects, I’m prone to starting lots of things and not finishing them, and this helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

DSC_0185 copy

Prep for this coat took an age. There are lots of pattern markings, and I’ve got shell, underlining, lining and hair canvas to get through. I’m not sure that my hand stitching is quite as professional looking as SewSewLovely’s, but hey, I’m trying. Luckily, this coat doesn’t have a collar which saves me time, nevertheless I’m enjoying doing it properly (for that read slowly).

DSC_0172

DSC_0175

This is my first try making bound buttonholes using the patch method. The pattern only calls for two buttonholes (and the other two buttons to be stitched in place) but I dislike the idea of pointless buttons with no holes behind them, so I’ve made four. I’ve had previous success using the method where you fold them through from the outside, but because this is mohair, I figured I should aim for a less bulky process. It’s a pretty fail safe method, I’d recommend it, however emphasis on the ‘slipstitching lips into place’ is needed. I did a practice buttonhole which was very wonky, but extra care was put into the real ones. There was only one which slipped through:

DSC_0183

In sum, I’ve worked through unit one and half of unit two of the pattern instructions. Apparently Simplicity has a world-renowned ‘unit’ system. Does anyone know about this?

I’ve always had a bit of an aversion to Simplicity patterns after Cargo Cult Craft’s revelations about them, but this one (fingers crossed) is proving to be okay. I’m very excited to get it finished up.

Advertisements

3 comments

  1. […] my last progress post, I left the coat alone for a few days. Other commitments are eating into my sewing time, but […]

  2. […] are several construction posts, but since the last, I steamed straight ahead and didn’t stop to take […]

  3. Wow, this is looking good!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: